Carrie's Carries - Week 1 - Front Wrap Cross Carry with a Girasol Northern Lights Woven Wrap
Posted: Jan 17 2016
Week One of Carrie's Carries features the front wrap cross carry with a Girasol Northern Lights, at the farm. Please share your pics and tag with #52carries so I can find them too!
Each week I will post a new carrier or carry in action - not just with a clean room in the background. I want to show everyday, game-changing babywearing! And occasionally just really beautiful carrier too. You can catch up with our gallery HERE.
- The Carry: Front Wrap Cross Carry (FWCC)
- Good For: beginners to experienced - this is usually the first carry I teach with a woven wrap.
- Why I love it: FWCC is comfortable for most and very supportive for baby - this is important when you are building your confidence with a newborn, and when your heavy 11 month old baby wants to nap and only on your front. This tying way also teaches skills that are a great foundation for learning other ways to tie a wrap on your front, hip or back.
- It is not for you if: you have a shoulder injury and need a one shoulder carry. For some that have experienced trauma having baby right in front and on your chest might trigger discomfort - lowering baby just a smidge (still close enough to kiss) might help or a side carry (even half way on the hip-halfway on the front) would likely be a better option.
- Length of wrap: You will need a long wrap - depending on your size that will be a 5, 6 or 7. HERE is a wrap size guide.
- The Carrier: Girasol Northern Lights woven wrap
- Good For: beginner to experienced, newborn through toddler, find it HERE
- Why I love it: There just something special about Girasol wraps - the colors are gorgeous, the softness, and the fact that they are fair trade woven in Guatemala. The stripes on this wrap also make it easy to know right where to tighten or adjust the wrap - this makes it easier for beginners. Girasol also offers wraps in diamond weave, herringbone weave and a thick weave (geeky info: the warp threads are doubled) that gives extra support for toddlers.
- It is not for you if: Girasol only makes wraps with stripes or solid colors so the design may not be for you. But thicker wraps can be a bit tougher for some to learn with particularly if you're hesitant to begin with.
- How to's
- Babywearing Faith, Wrapping Rachel, and Wrap You In Love are my three favorite YouTube channels.
- Babywearing Faith - with a newborn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gJEIYTQRTk
- Wrapping Rachel - with an older baby: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKFpbJjhG6Q
- Wrap You in Love - with a toddler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PD5YKSf1Q4
This picture is me and my youngest when she was about 3 months old. Northern Lights was the very first woven wrap that I ever owned and it is still one of my absolute favorites. The colors are stunning and the wrap is soft and wonderful to wear.